Friday, May 20, 2011

5.24 : Alexandra Shilling

Alexandra Shilling
Dancing Onscreen: Where does that place us?
May 24, 2011
12pm Kaufman room 160

Ruth St. Denis danced on film in 1894; dance has been featured onscreen for over a century and still we search for places to be seen and heard. As an accidental dance filmmaker, I am interested in utilizing my experimental choreographic investigations to make decisions for the camera and in the editing room. Now that dance is showing up on television (in competition, reality-TV format, supporting singers on shows like 'Glee' and continuing the music video format), on YouTube, and in festivals, is there a space for a deliberately raw, experimental and often wordless aesthetic? If we work outside the codes and formulas laid down by the film industry, where will we be seen? I will discuss my choreographic pursuits that began in response to the events of 9-11 and my family's history of surviving war, the desire to engage with audiences outside of the the traditional theatre space and as an inquiry into the potential of performance to transform spaces and sites while being influenced by cinema and photography. Please join me in approaching dance and experimental film making that invites an immersive experience, viewing a works-in-progress mock installation that is inspiring my inquiry.

No comments:

Post a Comment